Saturday, 10 May 2014

Settle

Settle

Afloat, waiting, you quietly 
persist.

Promise me you'll 
settle.

                            ..............................................................

Listen,

I know all about 
promises made and received
sincerely.

Dropped like anchors in 
unsettled waters.

I've been there when the holding 
ropes, knit so tight to 
fix us fast,

chafe and unravel in 
ferocious storms. Rip 
apart at breaking strength.

Set adrift to take
my chances, to stay lost in 
the outer reaches, or 
make it back to shore.

Free as the wind 
and just as secure. 

I made it back, in 
the end. Not always home, 
but to unexpected shores.

What I mean is, I've taken 
my chances. I'll take them 
again.

Promises won't hold me.

So, I set myself adrift

with hope.

                      ..............................................................................................

Here is my hope. I hope 
you settle.

Inspired by Paula Meehan, "Playing House".
"Home, you say, let this be
a home for you. Unpack your clothes, hang them
beside mine. Put your sharp 
knife in my kitchen, your books
in my stacks. Let your face
share my mirrors. Light
fires in my hearth. Your talismans
are welcome. Break bread
with me. Settle. Settle."

                    __________________________________________

I'm hoping to have another baby at the end of the summer.  Hoping, not expecting, you see. Though it's looking likely. Bay is mostly happy, while not being sure for a while if we needed another baby. Despite lobbying for one for an age ("But, I didn't really MEAN it!!").  She is busy planning all the things she can teach the baby, like forward rolls and singing.
Perhaps I'll start knitting.  That's a big thing, knitting for a child that isn't here yet. How about this smock?
 
From: Rosylittlethings

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That is a precious smock, and I'm sure B will find much to teach the baby. Love to all of you!

sparklingbay said...

Thanks Melissa. Knitting is one of those crafty things I feel I could actually do, unlike just about anything else crafty, because I knitted things when I was a child.

Amanda Riley said...

Oh I'm hoping that sweet little being is settled in nicely and perhaps by now getting ready to make his/her way to the world outside of your insides..... just now saw this post, and I'm thinking of you.

Monica G. M said...

How are you doing?

sparklingbay said...

She is here!

Monica G. M said...

HOORAY. well done mama. blessings on you and baby. x